supporting neurodiversity in sport
Navigating Neurodiversity in sport Training (NNIS)
What is Neurodiversity?
“Neurodivergent” is a term used to describe those whose neurological function is outside of the norm. Common forms of neurodivergence include ADHD, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia and many others. in fact, one in eight people are considered to be neurodiverse but fewer than 50% know it.
How can ignite help?
Two of Ignite Artistic Swimming coaches have created a Navigating Neurodiversity in Sport (NNIS), Multi Sport Training Course to help coaches build their skills in coaching all of their athletes.
- BA in Sociology, Gender & Women’s Studies
- Masters in Critical Disability Studies
- Competition Development Certified Coach
- CAO C2C Parasport Mentor
- Specialty Program Lead and Coach at Ignite Artistic Swimming Club
- BA in Sociology, INdigenous Studies & Education
- Comp Development in Training Coach
- Special Education Teacher
- Coach at Ignite Artistic Swimming Club
This training aims to:
- Teach coaches of all sports to adapt when faced with behaviours, physical limitations and cognitive differentiation.
- Offer coaches problem solving tips and tricks so they are comfortable and confident in these situations.
- Offer a safe space for discussions and questions about NNIS
- Supporting coaches in coaching athletes who are neurodiverse or who have disabilities.
- Supporting Judges and referees in interacting with these athletes and how to support them on deck at competitions.
- Connect with mainstream coaches as well as coaching working with athletes with disabilities.
- What is Neurodiversity
- Navigating and Coaching Behaviour
- Navigating and Coaching Physical Limitations
- Navigating and Coaching Cognitive Differentiation
- Problem Solving and Resources
- Intro to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Cost is $50, (Ontario Coaches receive PD pts for attending)
Upcoming Training Dates:
- Jan 4th 6:30-9:00 Virtual
- March 2 6:30-9:00 Virtual